Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Little House on the Prairie


As a little girl, I was a huge fan of Little House on the Prairie. I remember feeling so accomplished after I finished the entire set of books. It might have been my first series of books that I ever read, which blossomed into my love for a good series. The books are set in various places. Toward the end of the story, the Ingalls settle down near De Smet, SD. This is where Laura's parents, Charles and Caroline lived out their days. Today, the property is open to visitors. It is a really nice, family-friendly stop. I think that all of the structures are recreations of what might have been, but not actual structures from the Ingalls Family.

 A Dug-out

A simple pioneer home

Barn

Garden

Ingalls' house

Laundry

Water

Flower garden
 Prairie

 Church

 Prairie school replica (Dakota Territorial Museum)

Teacher rules in Dakota Territory

Prairie school replica (Dakota Territorial Museum)



I picked up a book at Mt. Rushmore called Laura Ingalls Wilder: A Writer's Life (South Dakota Biography). I read it as we drove across South Dakota and thoroughly enjoyed learning more about the story behind the story. If you were or are a Little House on the Prairie fan, I highly suggest picking up this book up.

1 comment:

  1. Very cool, that looks like a really nice stop. I was a fan of the tv series, never read the booths though. i'm sure they were great.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails