Sunday, June 19, 2011

Father's Day


This is my first Father's Day with no father. It is still so new, it has been a little tough this week. I thought that it might be helpful to note a few important things about him today in order to honor his memory. 


My Grandmother often refers to my Dad as her "gypsy" son. He was the fifth of ten children. He loved to travel and loved an adventure. He also never turned down an opportunity to laugh and have fun. I like to think that I inherited these qualities from him but coupled with my mom's sense of stability and reliability. He was a wonderful carpenter and I often think of him when I'm at a hardware store. He always had tools and typically was working on some sort of project. When he worked, he usually worked because he wanted to, not because he had to. Therefore, he often took a lot of pride in his work. It was a labor of love. I've always loved working with my hands, building and creating. I admit, I have a nice sized tool collection for making jewelry. I'm positive that my need to bring my ideas to life is inherited from my Dad too. He was charming. As a little girl, I always loved his soft Oklahoma accent and his cowboy boots. I can honestly say, he was one-of-a-kind. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails