Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Pomegranates, roses, trumpet vine flowers, a strawberry and a bird in our orchid tree

Our new yard offers me hours of entertainment! I feel like I never know what I might find when I wander around each week. Now that the majority of the hard work is done until the end of Summer, I can go out in the evenings and just enjoy!


The little red flowers are growing in number on our pomegranate tree. Some of the first blooms have lost their petals and are starting to balloon into baby pomegranates. I read online that they will fully ripen in the Fall. I'm day dreaming about making pomegranate syrup for pancakes and waffles. Doesn't that sound good? I'm definitely going to try to make my own marmalade next year from our orange trees. Yum!


The rose bushes are growing leaps and bounds. They all look wonderful due to Joshua's tender loving care. Tonight, we are going to a meeting of the Phoenix Rose Society. Being that we have at least a dozen bushes, we felt like it might be nice to meet some fellow rose lovers. 


Our purple trumpet vines are quite pretty too. They flower in bunches. We have one that grows along our front yard, west end fence and one next to the wisteria in the back yard. Very pretty!


Last but not least, I spied our first strawberry. It is still a little guy and I should probably get some netting so that a bird doesn't steal it away. Isn't he cute!?

Speaking of birds, I finally got the best night of sleep that I've had in the last week. We've had a bird in the tree outside our bedroom window that enjoys chirping between the hours of midnight and dawn. Thankfully, last night, we were given a little break. The bird still showed up to chirp, but it seemed to arrive around 4am. I can totally handle that. There is something too strange about a bird chirping in the middle of the night. It is unsettling to me. Don't birds sleep at night? I read online that this is actually a somewhat common issue. There are lots of theories as to why some birds will chirp at night. First, some birds call for a mate at night. I joked around with Joshua last night that perhaps our bird friend finally found a girlfriend. Some are  protecting their territory. And finally, a few suggested that the light of the city confuses birds into feeling like it is not truly night time. I have no idea what it is, but I do know that I sleep a lot better when it is quiet. Just for the record, Josh likes the chirping at night. I love chirping, I just prefer it during daytime hours. Can't they work around my schedule? Hahahaha!

2 comments:

  1. Hi Sara! The bird thing is strange... unless it's a Nightingale or an owl?!?! Real home-grown pomegranates? How cool. Love how your gardens are growing. Can't wait to see the roses when they open fully!

    {Hugs!}

    ReplyDelete
  2. Isn't it strange? He or she was back last night and it was extra exuberant, as if it was trying to make up for lost time from the night before. I was really tired again this morning. So much for not drinking coffee. Hahaha! :(

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails