Sunday, March 6, 2011

Our fruitful yard.


Sooooooo, we have 5 Sweet Arizona Orange Trees and 5 Grapefruit Trees. Guess what that means? A whole lot of fruit. And I mean A LOT! 2 of our Grapefruit Trees are gigantic monsters. The kind of trees that people stop, stare at and say, "Hey, I've never seen a Grapefruit Tree quite that big before." Here is an example.


So, I haven't had grapefruit since I was little and I don't remember liking it much. It is likely that I may have 1 single grapefruit off of one of the 5 trees that we own. I'm pretty certain that Joshua will not even taste one. So what do we do with the fruit? I thought about donating it to St. Mary's Food Bank, but I found out that we still have to pick all of the fruit ourselves. Being that we have a small orchard, that seems little overwhelming - especially with school, work, wedding plans, etc. Regardless of what we do with the fruit, one thing is certain, we have to get the trees trimmed off of the roof asap. So, friends and family, if you are in the neighborhood and dying for some oranges or grapefruit, please stop on by and pick as many as you like!


Today, we spent the entire afternoon pruning and raking. Joshua cut back 3 Rose Bushes, removed our frost bitten Lantana and trimmed up our Hibiscus Bush.


I was excited to see the beginning of new growth. For instance, our Pomegranate Tree is getting fresh leaves.


I spied a Rose bud in the rose bushes on the side of the house that were already pruned around Christmas time.


Our Black Eyed Susan is getting ready to bloom. 


An on-going chore and never ending chore is the raking of the leaves. We have buckets and buckets of leaves. But, I do have to say, it is all worth it to have big beautiful trees and the shade that they provide. It is great exercise and a nice excuse to get outdoors. 

1 comment:

  1. Ok, I'm SUPER jealous. Maybe you could find delicious recipes to bake something with the grapefruit? Or, you could make my favorite cocktail, a greyhound (vodka and grapefruit juice, maybe sweeten it a touch with a splash of sprite).

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails