Saturday, January 8, 2011

Josh's Grandma Evelyn


It certainly wasn't easy, but we made it through Evelyn's mass today at Our Lady of Perpetual Help. I have to say, it might just be the most beautiful and meaningful mass I've ever attended.

Evelyn's 90th birthday with Bishop O'Brien

Evelyn's 90th birthday with Father O'Grady

Bishop O'Brien attended, while  Father O'Grady led the service. Having known Evelyn since the 50's, he knew very well how special Evelyn was and he spoke most eloquently about her life as a wife, a mother, a grandmother, a friend and a Catholic.


Afterwards, we ate...we ate...and then we ate some more (as shown in the photo above). Between the more formal reception at the church and the more informal reception at our home, there was tons and tons of food.


Josh's mom with her siblings.

Some Grandchildren and significant others.

Josh's uncle Greg and cousin Wendy.

Josh's dad visiting with his sister and her husband.

Looking at old photos.

Saying good-bye is never easy. In fact, it is downright difficult, trying and sometimes even terrible. Even at 90, all of us agreed that her passing was just a complete and utter shock. I think that we all just assumed that she'd live forever. Although she was not my Grandma, she will always have a special place in my heart and my memory. After all, she was a pivotal figure in creating the man that is my husband-to-be. He credits some of his best traits to her. For that and for the short time that I got to spend with her, I'll be eternally grateful.

2 comments:

  1. Oh Sara, I am so sorry. I know she was very special to both you and Josh. You can see by the smiles on people's faces while they are looking at old pictures what wonderful memories they have of Evelyn. I will be keeping you, Josh, and his family in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the kind words. I was just telling you how wonderful she was a week before when she was at our house and you called. She was a very special lady.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails