Thursday, December 30, 2010

A new year


We are planning a visit to Josh's parent's ranch in Cochise County. The picture above is from a few years back, but I expect that it might look fairly similar when we visit. I definitely expect at least a sprinkling of snow. Honey is going with us. I'm fairly certain that she has never seen snow before, and I'm curious to see her reaction. I'm not a huge fan of the cold, but I do think it's nice to experience it every once in a great while. If nothing else, it reminds me just how much I love living in Phoenix. Although our hearts are all still heavy and burdened with loss, it will be nice to have some of the Oehler family together. I'm looking forward to sharing the gifts that we so carefully chose for each person and having a dinner that I don't have to make. There are 2 new dogs at the ranch to make a grand total of 7 now. I'm looking forward to meeting the new pack members (I've been watching a lot of "Dog Whisperer" over our holiday break).

Next week, family will start to arrive from near and far to remember Grandma Evelyn. Funerals are always bitter sweet. It is nice to see familiar faces, give hugs and catch up - but it is such a hard and sad reason for everyone to come together. Evelyn was Catholic, so there will be a mass and a small reception at the cathedral that she's attended for the past few decades. I worry about Joshua. His grandmother was such an important part of his life. It just breaks my heart when I think of his sadness. But, it is times like this when I know that I have the exact right husband-to-be. He has such a special soul.

It's been hard when people ask, "How was Christmas?". You want to tell them "great", "fantastic" or even "wonderful". That would be my usual reaction because I love Christmas, but it just isn't true this year. It was the best that it could be under the circumstances. Explaining why it wasn't great, fantastic or wonderful is never easy. I still have her present tucked inside the branches of our tree. It is a bracelet. I'm thinking of making it into some sort of commemorative ornament so that she can be a part of our tree always. I think she'd like that.
Published with Blogger-droid v1.6.5

2 comments:

  1. i think a bracelet turned keepsake ornament is a lovely way to have Grandma Evelyn a part of your holiday each year and to cherish always. my deepest sympathy for your loss.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Kristen. We really appreciate everyone's love and support. I actually think that I might keep the bracelet inside the package (which is pretty and handmade too) and make the entire thing into and ornament.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails