Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Thanksgiving Preparation


We are so excited to spend our first Thanksgiving in our new home. It is a little sad to not share it with family, but we will make the best of it. I am hoping that we can swing by and visit Josh's Grandma who just had knee surgery and his Great Aunt Eileen who lives in a retirement community, once I get the turkey in the oven tomorrow.


Speaking of turkey, I'm a little nervous. This is my first year making my own turkey. I purchased it yesterday and quickly realized that I had better figure out how to thaw it before the big day. After soliciting advice from my mom as well as some helpful friends on facebook, and of course my bosses Scott and Mike, I learned to put it in cold water and change out the water frequently. Scott was quite helpful. He taught me that 1/2 hr in cold water = 1lb of turkey thawed. Aha! So I now know that it should take about 6 hours. Here is the recipe that I am going to try. This will also be my first year making stuffing, and I decided on this recipe.


Otherwise, our dinner plates will have all of the typical fixings: garlic mashed potatoes, which I know how to make quite well, sweet corn, cranberries, green bean casserole and rolls. And of course, no Thanksgiving is complete without Sparkling Cider and Egg Nog.


For dessert, we will have an apple pie. Pictured above is my apple pie from last Thanksgiving. It was so good, if I do say so myself...and I do!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails