Tuesday, July 6, 2010

10 ways for me to decompress


This year has been a roller coaster.  The peaks have been high and the valleys have been very low.  I suppose that most years are like that but this year seems like a year that I might not forget any time soon.  I can feel the stress building up in me, and I seem to have forgotten how to decompress.  So I thought it might be somewhat therapeutic to remind myself of 10 things that make me feel good in hopes that I'll take time to do some of them over the next few weeks and months.  Nothing about this year is showing signs of getting any easier so I might as well do my best to relax any chance I get.

1. Yoga - I love yoga and I haven't been to yoga in months.  I've talked myself into believing that it is too difficult to go.  It's not.  I know that it's not and it feels really great!

2. Swim - This I've been trying to enjoy a few times each week this summer and it really does help relax me, day or night.

3. Create- I've been in a bit of a creative slump and I need to really need to make this a priority.

4. Read - One of my favorite pass times

5. Yardwork and House Cleaning - I know that these don't seem as if they should belong on this list.  I've actually found yardwork to be a wonderful stress reliever and a great work out, especially in the 100+ summer heat.  I always feel better when our house is clean and organized and it really has not been this summer.

6. Cook - Spending time on a nice, healthy meal and/or trying a new recipe is fun.  Cooking the same old meal time-and-time again is not so fun.  I need to remember to watch for new recipes and not be afraid to try something different.

7. Walk - I miss walking.  It's so hot here right now, but I could still get out at dusk and get a little walking in if I put my mind to it.

8. Laugh - I love to laugh.  Working by myself all day long does not afford me enough opportunity to laugh.  Thankfully Josh keeps me giggling through most of the evening - but I'm sure that more laughter would not be a bad thing. Maybe we need to get tickets to a comedy club.

9. Friends - I am fortunate to have so many wonderful girlfriends and I never get to see any of them enough.

10. Volunteer - I have been so busy on this roller coaster that I haven't had time to give to anyone else.  Giving to others always puts a smile on my face. I should sign up to volunteer soon.

Thankfully, Josh, Honey and I are heading down to Mt. Graham for a camping trip in a few weeks.  All 3 of us are looking forward to the R&R and cool weather.  If all goes according to plan, our closing date is set on August 11th, but we won't take possession of the house until August 24th.

2 comments:

  1. your list looks a whole lot like my list would look! I too have been slacking on doing many of the things that make me happy. Luckily I have been reading and a little creating but not much else. Stress has a way of talking me out of the things that would be best for me (and talking me into eating lots of lots of ice cream). Not a good combo. I hope you (and I) can remember to do a little more of what makes us feel so good.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails