Thursday, October 22, 2009

SoftFlexGirl in the Big Apple


First and foremost, check out VAharoni's blog entry about her visit to the Soft Flex Glass Art and Bead Festival in NYC. It is always a joy to meet online friends in person. I was very glad to meet Valerie in person. I actually recognized her by necklace! She was wearing one of her Flex Your Creativity Beading Contest entries.

It is always a treat to visit New York for the
Soft Flex Glass Art & Bead Festival (annual October). This year was cold and wet, two things that I am not accustomed to since I live in the desert. I can't say that I was particularly thrilled to tromp through the streets shivering and doing my best to hold my umbrella at just the right angle so that the wind wouldn't destroy it. But, I do have to say that Monday's weather made up for the 3 or 4 gray days. The sun was finally out and it was amazing how my whole attitude adjusted. I guess I am really, truly meant to live in the desert. I love sunshine. Rain or snow are okay for a short time, but I can't imagine dealing with it everyday.

The bead show itself was stellar. I'm not just saying that because I'm a Soft Flex'er. There really is a great mixture of different types of exhibitors at our
NY Glass Art and Bead Festival. There is a little bit of everything and it makes it very fun to look around. I definitely felt inspired. I picked up a few choice items for my bead collection. Some Soft Flex gemstones. I'm absolutely in love with our short strands. It really makes buying nice gemstones affordable. I don't normally need an entire strand because I like to mix and match beads. This works out quite well for me. I also picked up seed beads from Jane's Fiber, an adorable owl and bird toggle from Green Girl Studios and then a few clasps from Soft Flex. The new FIT location was really nice.

Lisa Kan gave me the most gorgeous set of earrings. They are beautiful. I am so appreciative to have such talented and generous friends. Thank you, Lisa!!! Thanks to Andrew for his generosity as well. I'm so lucky!

We use vacation rental by owner to stay in NYC each year. Since we need a fairly large staff to pull off this show, we have found that this is the most affordable option for us. We usually rent 2 condos and split the staff between the two spots. This year, I was designated to stay in an apartment on 58th St., near Central Park. Unfortunately, the location didn't work out so the rental owner upgraded us into one of the many Trump Towers in Manhatten. It was on 70th Street and Riverside. Here is our subway stop at 72nd.....

My home for the week was on the 19th floor of the tall building at the end of the block. It was a nice walk home from the subway stop, when the sun was out on Monday when this picture was taken.

The best part of our apartment was the view. We had a gorgeous view of the Hudson River. Here is the sunrise view....


Here is the sunset view.....


I spent quality time with my cousin Loretta. She started attending Copper Union in Manhatten this fall. She has been in NYC for about a month and a half now. It was great to see her dorm room, meet her roommates, check out her neighborhood and shower her with winter items like hats, gloves and socks. I don't want her little fingers and toes to freeze off. She is from the desert just like me.

I also got a chance to visit with my boyfriend's brother and fiance. They live in the Bronx and always go out of their way to visit me in the city to have dinner and catch up. They are working hard on their wedding arrangements for a Tucson wedding on January 2, 2010.

All in all, I was cold from the weather but warmed by the love of friends and family. Gave and received gifts, shopped and ate too much good food, enjoyed the bead show and the view....life's not too shabby. The hardest part of traveling is missing Josh & Honey. I was really glad to be back home with them.


One last thing, our friends at the BSGNY are selling tote bags. I use mine all of the time. It is sturdy and fashionably chic for carrying around a bundle of stuff. It is lightweight and washable. So many tote bags look so cheap. Not these! They are really nice! It is only $30.00 plus shipping. All of us Soft Flex ladies love our tote bags. You should get one too and support the Bead Society of Greater New York.


No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails