Saturday, October 24, 2009

Feeding my body & my soul

I am celebrating the end of week 4 of intense, morning boot camp. As with most, I struggle from time to time with my diet and exercise regimen. Things get busy, I travel, I eat out......eventually, I have a problem. So to get back on track my best friend and I have been meeting up every available week day morning for a faux boot camp. We committed to 8 weeks. We hike most mornings and sprinkle in some weight training here and there. We are building up our endurance so that we can tackle some of the big summit trails in Phoenix - Camelback & Piestewa Peaks. I can't say that I entirely love waking up at 6am each day, but I've managed to make it work. Spending time with Erin each morning is priceless. So yesterday, I hiked the majority of the Circumference Trail at Piestawa Peak. This is not for the faint of heart. It is long with some pretty nice climbing areas (3.2 miles / moderate level). I hiked for a little over 2 hours straight. It felt GREAT! I definitely think that I am well on my way to accomplishing the summit trails in a few weeks and I am already feeling the benefits of regular exercise.

In other news, I've been feeding my soul with a little volunteer time. Yesterday morning, I spent time at an elementary school in Phoenix. I helped with the AR Store. It is a program that celebrates kids reading by offering them prizes that are ranked by the amount that they read. It is always a fun day to spend in the library. I look forward to their next RIF day (Reading is Fundamental). I love reading out loud to the kids. It is always fun for them and fun for me too.

Today is "Make a Difference" day. Josh and I celebrated by volunteering together at Rio Salado Habitat Restoration Area, south of downtown Phoenix. There was an event for World Water Day. I got to spend the morning talking to children about the things that they can do on a day-to-day basis to conserve trees, water and energy as well as waste and pollution management. With all of the neat technological advances we have made over the past 200 years, come some basic responsibilities to not abuse them. Reduce, recycle & Reuse! Joshua explained water surface tension to little ones by letting them us a dropper to add drops of water onto the top of a penny. Most kids were able to add 30 drops to the top of a penny and see the water dome. They LOVED it. I even met a fellow beader who was also volunteering.

Now, I think is a good time for some rest and relaxation. I hope that you have a lovely weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails