Saturday, April 12, 2008

I love the great outdoors!




Only a quick 5-10 minute drive from my house (in Phoenix) there are several parks & recreation areas for day hikes. These photos are from the "nature trail" near what used to be called "Squaw" Peak. It has recently been renamed "Piestewa" Peak. I figured that hiking would be a great way prepare for the 3-day breast cancer walk and was checking out the easier trail to see if Honey (my constant companion and most favorite dog) could possibly come along. I think that I might have to work her up to the "easy" trail. I rescued her a little over 2 years ago. At the time, the vet guessed that she was 5. So being that she is now around 7, she loves activity but I am wary about making her work too hard. It gets awfully hot here in AZ, so you have to be really careful to not overheat your pets. I think that she will really enjoy the hike after she gets a little time on the trail.

Donate to my breast cancer walk

Speaking of parks, I have decided to become a park steward. What is that, you ask? I'm still learning, but I think that it means "park volunteer" that volunteers more than 40 hours in a year. I have picked out a park that is just 5 minutes south of downtown Phoenix. This park was introduced to me (and to Honey) by my boyfriend. The Rio Salado Habitat Restoration used to be a dump site and now is a beautiful desert landscape.

Rio Salado Habitat Restoration

So - no beading today, but SOON...I promise!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails